Mass Communication and Media Arts
The School of Information Systems and Applied Technologies in the College of Applied Sciences and Arts offers the following technically related courses. These courses serve as common requirements for various majors. Selected courses are available to students enrolled in other academic units.
Game Design and Development Minor (15 credit hours)
The minor in Game Design and Development (GDD) is a multi-disciplinary minor offered by the School of Information Systems and Applied Technologies (ISAT), and the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts (MCMA). The purpose of this minor is to prepare students who wish to enter the field of game design and development. The Game Design and Development minor requires 15 credits. For IST majors, the required courses are RTD 201 and IST 392; for all other majors, IST 209 and MCMA 499 are required. Only after completing 12 credit hours in GDD can students take the capstone course of IST 392 (IST major) or MCMA 499 (all other majors). This course is co-taught by two faculty (one from IST and one from MCMA) as an independent study. The GDD minor students are required to display their final project at each program's website and/or showcase.
The approved electives are in two areas for 9 credit hours: Game Studies and Production RTD 331, RTD 378, RTD 382, RTD 478, RTD 487--and Game Programming (Prerequisite)--IST 312 (209), IST 336 (209), IST 403 (312), IST 422 (312 & 336), & IST 446 (209). All prerequisites for these courses must be fulfilled prior to enrollment in each course. All courses for this minor must be completed with a grade of C or better. All students who wish to enroll in this minor must do so through the ISAT advisor or the MCMA advisors. The required courses for each major (IST & RTD) will not be counted as the GDD minor course.Required (6 credit hours):
- RTD 2011 - Introduction to Media Production
- IST 3922 - Special Projects
- IST 2091 - Introduction to Programming
- MCMA 4992 - Independent Study
Elective Courses (9 credit hours):
Game Studies and Production
- RTD 331 - Digital Graphics Foundations
- RTD 378 - Writing for Game Production
- RTD 382 - 2D Digital Character Animation 1
- RTD 478 - Game Narrative
- RTD 487- 3D Animation 1: Modeling
- IST 312 - Digital Graphics Foundations
- IST 3361 - Web-based Applications in Information Systems
- IST 403 - lient-Side Web Development
- IST 422 - obile Programming
- IST 446 - Software Engineering and Management
1The required courses for each major (IST & RTD) will not e counted as the GDD minor courses.
2A GDD minor student should also take it as the final course after finishing taking 12 credit hours in GDD minor certificate requirement. It is co-taught by two faculty from IST and RTD as an independt study. The final artifact will be demonstrated on each programs's website.
- MCMA200 - Media & Information Literacy
- MCMA204 - Altrn Media in Diverse Society
- MCMA497 - Special Interdisciplnry Study
- MCMA499 - Independent Study